Monday, May 26, 2014

inspiration

Photo credit AFP, taken from this BBC
website: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-27400896
May 23, 2014

Half listening to French radio news one day recently while I did other work, I kept hearing the French name that sounds like mine (call me sometime, and I’ll pronounce it for you :-) ). Someone named Camille was being mentioned a lot. At first, I thought she was a reporter doing lots of reports on the radio that day.

Then I learned the real story: Camille Lepage was a 26-year-old French freelance photojournalist who had been covering conflicts in Africa. She made the news because her body had just been found in the Central African Republic where she’d been reporting. [And another article here.]

At this point, I pulled away from my work and dug into her story a bit farther. And discovered this compelling quote from Camille:  “I can’t accept that people’s tragedies are silenced simply because no one can make money out of them. I decided to do it myself, and bring some light to them no matter what.”

I don’t think I’m as brave as her, but I think I would have liked her. We care about some of the same things.


No comments: