Tuesday, July 12, 2016

brexit continued: Paul's full quote


Here's Paul Adlington's full Brexit quote, a portion of which is included in my article over on Blue Dot today:

I voted to remain in the EU. My belief in inclusivity and equality and my dislike of nationalistic pride played a part I’m sure, but ultimately I voted to remain because the UK, as the 5th largest economy in the world, should be a net giver, not a net receiver. I know there is a strong case to argue that the UK receives more than it gives – i.e. the economy is stronger and British citizens are wealthier as part of the EU – but the leave campaign’s  repeated claim that we give more than we receive and it’s desire to abandon responsibility for refugees helped make my final decision. The reason to remain is that we should be taking responsibility, as part of Europe, especially in times of economic and refugee crises – in times such as now!

I don’t believe there is a problem with the free movement of people, and I don’t believe that too many people are coming to this country. Why did we need to sell a row of houses in Liverpool for £1 each last year if we really don’t have enough houses to give people homes?

The real issue is investment, incentives and honest governance: A well-organized, non-corrupt Europe could provide investment and incentives to help create healthy, prosperous and safe areas all over this country and Europe, areas where people can build their lives without having to leave loved ones [behind] while they migrate for meagre wages and poor conditions miles from home.

Besides – the UK is a much better place because of its cultural and ethnic diversity. We should be embracing it.

After the vote I was reminded, as I was after the last general election, how we live in a bubble in London. The majority of the country must have felt very disempowered to vote in such a way. This really needs addressing politically, and also with the media – who must take a portion of the blame after their insistence on publishing mainly extreme minority views.

After the vote our politicians seem utterly lost. Honestly, I am praying and hoping that something good comes from the mess they have led us into, the mess that the two key leaders have now abandoned for somebody else to clear up! My hope is that the European leaders don’t react out of anger and hurt but that they allow this referendum to serve to kickstart EU reform, and then allow the UK back in.

However, my greatest sadness following the result is the way some people seem to have used it as an excuse for racist and xenophobic behaviour. I am dreadfully ashamed of this. There can be no future with this attitude!

No comments: